project: Aerotrain in 1/8

In autumn 2006 I started with a model of GM's Aerotrain in 1/8
As usual the shell was made from a steel frame; even sides got a basis of fiber-board, easy rounded edges a basis from steel tubes. The 3D-shape of the nose and the cab's roof were cut from EPS-foam and covered basically with several layers of fiberglass. Finally the whole shell was again covered with fiberglass to blend all sections into a continous smooth outline

On my model all three axles are powered (in contrast to the prototype) with one motor on each axle. Here is a picture from the front-truck:

It took a good time to make some progress (05/2008):


Finally the LWT12 was finished (05/2009):

My Aerotrain consists of three coaches and the observation car. Each car is able to carry a load of 200kg+ which requires a rather heavy construction of the car and its roof. Sub-construction of the roof was made from expanded metal:

The axles are cushioned by a combination of springs and metal-rubber-elements

The observation car in a very early condition

The sides received simulated fluting which was made from brass wire soldered to thin brass panels.
The current status of the train (09/2010) - riveting has started....there will be 12000+ rivets on the cars overall


project: DRGW's Krauss-Maffei KM4000CC in 1/11

In November 2009 I started to build a model of DRGW's KM4000CC. Since I had stored several parts in 1/11 (wheels, couplers, horns, pilot) the scale to build in was rather obvious. Also I was a bit concerned about the construction of a six-axle truck with good tracking qualities in 1/8.
I started with sketching the shell and building the frame.

The pilot is a Maxitrak-casting originally made for their EMD-F7-model

The shell has a steel-tube-frame covered with fiber-board on the sides. The roof has a sub-construction from expanded metal.
The nose was shaped from foam. The whole shell is covered with fiberglass.
Basic shape of shell (12/2009):

Having the basic outline of the shell cut-outs for radiator areas, doors, numberboards etc. were applied (02/2010):

And some further progress (04/2010):