M-10005: test-assembly

Some pictures of the a preliminary assembly of trucks, frame & shell (due to space restrictions this is much easier to be done outside):

side views

and a better view of the exhaust manifold


M-10005: updated front

Some pix of the current status of the nose-area:
A smaller headlight-tube was mounted - it starts with a circular cross-section and changes smoothly into an almost square cross-section close to the windows.
Additionally the raised section alongside the headlight 'tube' and between the grills was fabricated.

 The countersunk manifold (16 inlets, 4 outlets) in the lowered area and inlet-grids alongside were fitted into the removable, central roof-section.

The window-frames as well as the door-frames were set into the shell - now the several portholes' frames are under construction


More photos from Adliswil

The collection of 1/29-projects:

Aerotrain's LWT12:

And it's observation car:


KM ML 4000CC - update

Photos taken during the US-convention in Adliswil/Switzerland last weekend

The trucks' side frames are still under construction - however, the main components of suspension & axle bearings are attached.


M-10005: front grill

During the very tedious work on paint touch-ups on the KM caused by a 'catastrophe' during the attempt of using liquid tape as simulation of the rubber-gasket on the shell , I got some solace by working on the M-10005's front grills...it seems that they are close to the prototype and even (almost) symmetrically on left and right. Since the front end of the nose consists of compound curves in every direction, shaping the frame and the horizontal ribs was a trial-and error process.

Additionally the door frames and further grills on the side were attached.


Update on KM's paint-job

Almost finished (some faults caused by over-spray have to be corrected).

Next step will be the rubber-decoupling around the cab - I intend to use liquid electrical tape for this


M-10005's shell - update

The housing for the headlight (copper tube) was fitted into the nose as well as the housing for the vertical warning light on the cab.

Cut-outs for the exhaust-system were made in the roof; for the photo, the roughly shaped insert part (which will carry the exhaust-muffler like a tray) was placed provisionally.


Current status of the paint job on the KM

The black stripe between Aspen gold and the lower silver area is still missing.

M-10005 - shell

 Cut-out for windows and grill are roughly made....

And with the cut-out's for the front-grills...

And a look into the interior of the shell - the foam-'plug' was rather easy to remove with hot-cutter, chisel etc.


EMC M-10005 - progress on shell (A-unit)

nose and cab area

side-view of nose

side-view total


Painting BLW's 'Blue Goose'

Paint job isn't finished - the separation between gray and blue in the cab's door area has to be shifted a bit downwards to become straight. However, the slightly downwards orientation below the side windows is prototypically - as the slightly inclined upper separation over the side grills.
And yes, the chrome trim is missing on the nose.


M-10005's shell started

Plane sides are fibre-board; nose-core is shaped from foam.
the roof will get a basic shape by extruded metal grid.
All areas will be covered with several layers of glass-fibre-material with resin..


UP's M-10005 in 1/7.3 - first pictures of the chassis & trucks

I started with the trucks for the A&B unit last year, fabricated another pair of trucks for the aux power-baggage and welded the basic frames for models in winter. I already have made the two trays carrying the car-batteries (six in total, wired in series & parallel for 36V).

Each axle is powered by two 750W motors (36V) connected by chain (including an idler of app. 4:1-ration for speed-reduction/torque-increasing). However, the 750W power-designation of each motor is more or less a theoretical value, because I (hopefully) will never use or need the specified torque of this operating point.
Similar to my construction of the LWT12 the batteries are stored in lowered trays which will lead to a rather low center of gravity.


Aerotrain's LWT12 - finally some kind of sound

Suffering diffculties with the public getting of the tracks I have mounted signal horns. Not the usual small electric horns of a car, but compressor-driven horns of a truck (ok, only a two-chime horn - should be a three-chime, I know). The horns are 15" and 12" long, with an almost prototypical low frequency sound (in comparison to the usual small car-horns).
The horns and the compressor are mounted in the rear of the shell's frame where the prototype's radiator would be.

View from downside of the shell with the compressor next to the horns - the system will act either as a melodical horn or produce two tones simultaneously (the option which I have chosen/wired).


KM ML4000 CC - details on shell & electrical wire-harness

 The wire-harness for two power circuits (36V for motors, 12V for accessories) has been applied.
The motors are regulated by a 4QD-controller. The accessories (fans, lights, horns) are relay-controlled and switched from a hand-held box which contains the pot and switches for the motors, too.
The two horns are placed next to the cab. Behind the battery-tray a bank with relays and fuses is placed (40A main fuse for drive-line, each motor additionally fused with 20A).

On the rear there is a connector that will supply power to the shell (fans & lights).

The shell now has been fitted with hand-rails; the accompanying ladders have been attached to the frame

On the cab DRGW's distinctive rear-mirrors were attached - in contrast to the prototype the model has collapsible mirrors to avoid conflicts during transport.